This weekend, I did something I haven't done since I moved into this house in the Fall. I went to bed early Friday night, I stayed in pajamas all weekend (of course, I changed them since I caught up on all the laundry in the house), I slept in and napped, I finished my first book of the year, AND I spent some quality time cooking and baking in the kitchen.
I made more coffee than any sane person should consume in a 48-hour period. I baked cornbread muffins that for some reason ended up tasting like day-old tea. I baked cranberry orange muffins that turned out amazing. Despite the fact that I set off the smoke alarm EVERY TIME I opened the oven door (despite the fact that NOTHING was burning), I persevered and came up with some tasty concoctions.
In trying to be more fiscally responsible this year, I have chicken, pork and beef defrosting in the refrigerator for this week's dinners. I found a delicious sounding chicken Mexi-casserole to try out tomorrow night. My ugly not-very-domesticated secret is I can't cook chicken to save my life. It's either pink in the middle or dry as flour. Hopefully, just starting it on the stove top and finishing it in the oven will be a positive change.
Today found me minus the noise and distraction of the TV. Instead, I focused on finishing my first book of the New Year. I always keep a list of books read, and thanks to the magic of the Internet and phone apps, I never have to be original with my lists because any number of websites will do it for me. Follow my reading adventures here.
No comments:
Post a Comment